Saturday, January 11, 2014

DIY: Swants/Swegging (fast easy way)

 Have you heard of swants? Well you soon will! They are pants made from old sweaters (just what it sounds like). I saw a tutorial on them, a few months ago. My first reaction was 'those are hilarious!' my second 'I want them!'. Soooooo, I didn't really follow the tutorial, I just did it my own way, with my serger. Mine turn out more like really thick leggings, or should I say SWEGGINGS! Eh? Ya see what I did there? Anyway, if you want to see how, just keep on scrolling.
   

Here is a link to the original tutorial. http://westknits.com/index.php/2013/11/swants-tutorial/

 I'm starting with this XL cotton sweater, that I bought at the thrift store for like $3. I make a strait cut following the line of the arm...

 ...and one going up to the shoulder.

 Next, I pin and sew up the side, on both arms.


 These will be the legs of our sweggings.

 Okay, so his is the fabric we have left.

 With this material, I am going to, essentially ,make shorts. To do so I use a par of pants/leggings to get the basic shape I need and cut out two slightly different shapes.

 One will have more of a curve (for your bottom), and one will have less.

 Pin and sew the curve for both pieces.

 They should look like this.

 Open them up, and pin the sides together...

 ...as well as the crotch area.

 Then sew where you pinned. You may want to try them on at this point. If they seem to slip down a little, try adding elastic to the waist.

 Now its time to sew on the legs. 

 Turn the pant legs right-side-out, and slide it into the leg of the shorts. Pin it all the way around...

 ..and sew.

 It should look like this. Do the same to the other side.

 And turn the whole thing right-side-out.

 There you have it SWANTS/SWEGGINGS! They are super comfortable and warm, which is great with how cold it's been this winter. You could wear leggings under theses for even more warmth! Let me know in a comment what you think of swants. Would you where them? 


I hope you've enjoyed this post! Have a great day!-Zoe

4 comments:

  1. http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7qpqfB3uV1r6wdijo1_1280.jpg
    NO SWANTS EVER! NO SWANTS EVER! I SAID NO, I SAID NO, I SAID NO, I SAID NEVER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this would look really, REALLY cute with a denim skirt :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great and modest design. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete